We at Three Bears Tea always have the environment on our mind. 100% of our packaging and shipping materials is recycled, recyclable, compostable and/or biodegradable. All of them fall into more than one category.
Details about what packaging is recyclable, compostable, or biodegradable are below, as well as definitions of these terms. After reading the information below, should you have any questions about our materials and how to best dispose of them, feel free to contact us.
- Recycled: All or some portion of these materials are made of recycled materials, diverting those materials from landfills and giving them new purpose.
- Recyclable: These items can be placed into standard recycling bins.
- Compostable: These items can be composted via industrial/commercial composting operations. Check your waste management company's website, or your local government's trash/waste collection website, for more information on what items they accept in their compost/yard waste bins and whether they accept compostable plastics.
- Biodegradable: These items break down over time on their own, and can be added to your home compost pile. If your city/county does not have commercial composting, these are still safe to put into your yard waste bin, as long as your waste management company accepts it. Check their guidelines if you're unsure.
All materials used for packaging teas by Three Bears Tea are compostable. Dispose of them in your compost/yard waste bin if your area has industrial composting. This includes:
- Resealable pouches, made of plant fiber and PLA
- Clear plant-based plastic bags used for tea samples
- Labels and stickers
- Some made of recycled sugar cane fibers and plant-based adhesive
- Some made of plant-based plastics
- Most paper tea wrappers surrounding cakes and bricks of tea
This does not include:
- Any foil wrappers or bags not bearing the Three Bears Tea logo or marked "compostable." Please dispose of these in the trash bin.
- Any interior tickets found under the wrappers or pressed into cakes or bricks of tea. These may have plastics in them that are not compostable. Please dispose of these in the trash bin.
- Some baskets in which tea may be packaged, and the stickers on them. If there is metal in the basket, or if you believe the material is synthetic (and not bamboo), please throw it in the trash bin. Stickers on baskets and tea wrappers should also be thrown in the trash bin. 100% bamboo baskets are compostable and biodegradable.
Our shipping boxes are wholly or partially composed of recycled materials. They are recyclable if dry and clean. If wet or soiled, they are compostable. They're also technically biodegradable, but composting cardboard at home is usually a hassle for non-gardeners.
Our packing paper sheets are 100% recycled and are recyclable. They are also compostable and biodegradable.
Our wadding is made of cellulose fiber that is compostable and biodegradable.
Our packing peanuts are made of starch and are compostable and biodegradable. They dissolve in water.
Our packing tape is made of cellulose and plant-based adhesive and is compostable.